The Municipal Chief Executive of the Nkwanta South Municipal Assembly in the Volta region John Thasun has inaugurated a four-member Agriculture census management team on behalf of the minister of Food and Agriculture.
According to him, the Ghana statistical services in collaboration with the Ministry of Food and Agriculture and partners with technical support from the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations, is in the process of conducting a census on Agriculture in Ghana.
“A census of Agriculture is a statistical operation covering the whole country and allows for the collection, processing, publishing and dissemination of information on the structure of agriculture and the state of development of the rural areas.”
He explained that the data will be collected directly from the households and some institutions on their agricultural activities including crop farming, tree planting, aquaculture or fish farming and livestock rearing and also on fishing which is an important agriculture-related activity in Ghana.
“Information will also be collected from communities mainly on the geography, availability of basic facilities, socio-economic conditions, and transport infrastructure, availability of community services, potentials for development and constraints to development.”
He added that the overall objective of the Ghana census of Agriculture GCA is to produce and disseminate complete and reliable agricultural data to meet the needs of policymakers and other users to support informed decision making and for monitoring development programmes aimed at further developing agriculture and the rural areas.
The GCA will specifically provide information on the rural sector and the structure of agriculture including:
- number of holders and sizes of holdings and their distribution across the country
- level of equipment and technology use,
iii. Human resource availability,
- Land tenure systems of agricultural holdings
- food security, and sustainable agriculture, among others.
The MCE also indicated that the highest decision-making body of the CA in the municipality shall also have the following responsibilities:
- Be responsible for coordination and implementation of the census of Agriculture project in the municipality.
- Ensure the provision of facilities for all activities of the census of Agriculture operations;
- Ensure that effective education and publicity of the census of Agriculture is carried out in the municipality.
- Ensure that the project activities out in the municipality on schedule;
- Resolve all problems relating to the census of Agriculture operations in the municipality.
- Facilitate information sharing and dissemination of results in the municipality.
John Thasun, therefore, appealed to farmers and institutions to cooperate and support the enumerators with the necessary information when they visit.
The municipal team members are the municipal coordinating director Mr Alhassan Yussif, Mr Issac Agyapong planning officer, Mr Mathew Domeyo municipal information officer and Mr Cefas Akai Municipal director of food and Agriculture
In an acceptance speech, the municipal director Mr Alhassan Yussif pledged that they will work assiduously to ensure that the census becomes a successful one knowing the importance of the project.
Source: Obrempong Ba K. Owusu Nkwanta.